CHIEF ROI MATA’S DOMAIN TOUR – A WORLD HERITAGE SITE
Tour is available every day.
For Cruisers: Starts 45 minutes after the cruise ship actually berths and finishes 1 hour before scheduled departure time.
Others: We pick you up anywhere in Port Vila between 8:30am & 8:45am
Note: For discount group bookings please book two (2) paying children under 12 years as one (1) adult. For example group of 4 children and 4 adults should be booked as 6 adults discount group.
The Lelepa region communities have only recently developed this fascinating full day tour to Artok or Hat Island, the revered mass burial site of Chief Roi Mata and the fifty or more individuals who accompanied him to the afterlife. Immediately after Roi Mata’s burial, around 400 years ago, a prohibition was imposed on the island preventing people from residing there. The maintenance of this prohibition over four centuries has led to the development of a unique biodiversity on the island, where a number of rare and endemic plant and animal species have found refuge. Visitors will be treated to an exclusive day-long adventure that will provide people with an appreciation of the World Heritage values of this spectacular island and its rich cultural and environmental history.
The breath-taking beauty of Artok’s rich cultural landscape, protected by custom law for over 400 years
- The mass burial site of the great Chief Roi Mata, buried with over 50 members of his family and court
- A guided tour through an ancient rainforest, unique to Vanuatu
- Fels cave – Where the great chief took his last breath, and ancient rock paintings
- Picturesque afternoon tea/coffee at one of the secluded sandy beaches
- Bus transfers to and from North Efate
- Scenic boat trips to and from the World Heritage sites
- BBQ Lunch included